Monday, August 6, 2018

Traveling to Fair Harbour August 2018

The trip to Fair Harbour on the northwest of Vancouver Island was long, but ended up easier than I expected. The long part was:
  • Driving from San Francisco to Portland
  • Driving from Portland to Port Angeles, Washington
  • Ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria, BC
  • Driving from Victoria to Zeballos
  • Driving from Zeballos to Fair Harbour.
All in all, about 1250 miles.

On August 3rd I drove from Portland to Port Angeles then took the ferry to Victoria. 

I love trips where I'm taking a ferry. I feel like the vacation has really started when I get into the line for the ferry. Here I've made it to Port Angeles:




Amazingly, I'd never taken the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria before. It was a fairly short sailing. Took about an hour for about 10 miles. It had been ages since I'd been to Victoria so I enjoyed seeing it coming into the harbour.








I found an Airbnb in the Fernwood neighborhood of Victoria. I really like that part of town. I highly recommend it. It has a couple good restaurants and pubs.








On August 4th I drive from Victoria to Zeballos on the northwest of Vancouver Island.

I wanted to get as close to Fair Harbour as I could the night before we took a water taxi to over to Spring Island where we'd be camping. I also wanted a town where I could get some dinner and it was clear that Fair Harbour didn't have any restaurants, so I stayed in a little motel in Zeballos , an hour or so drive from Fair Harbour. Unfortunately, the restaurants in Zeballos were all closed for the season when I got there so dinner was various protein bars and snacks I had with me. 

That ended up being about a seven hour drive. The last few hours were on gravel logging roads. This was the part of the drive I had been most concerned about. Not because of the roads -- I have lots of experience driving on dirt and gravel forest service roads. But because of the logging trucks racing along those roads in order to get in as many trips as possible during a day. Amazingly I didn't see one logging truck on that trip. I'd later learn that due to the very dry weather that logging had been temporarily halted due to fire danger.








On August 5th I drove from Zeballos to Fair Harbour to catch the water taxi to Spring Island in Kyuquot Sound, where I'd be camping with fellow kayakers for five days. 

And here it is! The one business in Fair Harbour!



Yes, I had heard that Fair Harbour is kinda rustic. Here's a view of the harbour:


Serendipitously I ran into JF Marleau and Justine Curgenven just as I was driving into town. Justine and a friend were just about to launch their kayaks for a trip down the west coast of Vancouver Island to Tofino.




I unloaded my kayak and gear from my car and had time to relax before the water taxi arrived to take us to Spring Island. Here I met my fellow paddlers for the week.





The water taxi ride was about an hour. It was a great way to start to take in the beauty of the area.










No comments:

Post a Comment