Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Heading to Skye

After a few days in Edinburgh I rented a car and headed to Skye. It'd been a while since I'd driven on the left side of the road and it was raining hard so the first part of the drive was not exactly relaxing. When I got to Pitlochry I stopped for another cup of coffee to regroup and it finally stopped raining. I'd forgotten how cute Pitlochry is.


Heading north on the A9 the terrain became more open, rugged hills covered in heather. It now felt like I was in the Highlands. The little streams on the hillsides were gushing with water from all of the rain today, reflecting rainbows from the rays of sunlight peeking through the clouds.

Not far west of Inverness the road to Kyle of Lochalsh turned into a single-track lane and the land felt wild. After about an hour of I came over a rise and was looing down on Kyle of Lochalsh and across to Skye. 

Once on Skye, I found the little cottage where I'd be staying. A very comfy home base.




Low tide the next morning:


More of the cottage:








And an older cottage on the property:

And locals wandering by:



The much-larger-than-I-needed car for this trip:


Heading from my cottage over to Skyak Adventures:


Feels like the Highlands when the road signs have Gaelic:



And after exploring Skye a bit and doing some grocery shopping, found a local pub:






No comments:

Post a Comment